Dos and Don’ts While Cutting the Wedding Cake?
Cutting a cake has become a tradition in western cultures. This tradition started in ancient civilization. But in those days, they used to break the loaves of bread over the couple’s heads to symbolize wealth, happiness and fertility. This has been replaced with the bride and bridegroom cutting a wedding cake. It is a first task done by the couple in their life which symbolizes their unity, shared future and their life together.
Wedding cakes come as a tradition as they were believed to bring good luck to the couple as well as to the guests. Usually this wedding cake is shared by the guests also, but cutting a multi tired cake by the bride became a daunting task so that it became a centerpiece in the wedding ceremony. At last, a wedding cake became a representation of commitment to start new life for the couples. While cutting the wedding cake there are some dos and don’ts.
- Choose the appropriate timing for cutting the cakes.
- Make an MC announcement for getting everyone’s attention and have your best man make a toast for the couple.
- Before cutting the cake ask the photographer for instructions on which side cake is to be cut. The cake cutting is a highly photogenic moment and the photographer will ask the couple to cut a particular layer of the cake that will work best for photos.
- All guests want some snapshots of the ceremonial first cut, and gracious couples will take their time to allow plenty of pictures.
- Use a special silver cake knife to cut the wedding cake.
- Both the bride and groom should cut the cake holding their hands together. The groom’s right hand will gently hold the bride’s right hand – and make sure to slice through the bottom layer!
- The groom will feed the bride first and then the bride to the groom from the slice they cut.
- Make sure that you both serve each other’s parents with a piece of cake. The groom should serve the bride’s parents with a slice and so is the bride to the groom’s parents.
- Later ask the caterer to cut the remaining cake for serving the guests.
- Do not smash the cake into one another face. This will entirely ruin your ceremony. And also it ruins your applied makeup, well-made tuxedos, and expensive wedding dresses.
- Do not destroy the respect of the ceremony as it is traditional practice.
- Don’t try to use the hands for feeding the cake.
- First don’t try to cut the top layer when you are having multi tired cake.
- Cutting wedding cake is one of the most enjoyable moments in the wedding.
Hence, by following the above tips, make sure that you have a wonderful cake cutting ceremony.